Thursday, October 22, 2009

My Kindred Spirits


Have you ever had friends who, even if years pass without seeing each other, you can pick up right where you left off and feel as if no time has passed at all?

My mom has frequently said that one of her favorite scriptures in the Book of Mormon is in Alma 17:2 where it is teaching about when Alma and the Sons of Mosiah saw each other again after spending years as missionaries. The scripture says "...and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding..." I don't know that I ever really comprehended what she meant until a couple of weeks ago.

But, let me tell you about two such friends who I believe fit these descriptions.

Amanda Wilkinson and I met when we were eager freshmen at Ricks (yes, Ricks, I am that old). We lived in the same dorm and were fortunate enough to have Music & the Humanities together. She turned out to be the neice of a family I had grown up with in Virginia. She and I hit it off instantly. She taught me many things that year, from the wonder that is cottage cheese on a baked potato to how to remember what composer wrote what songs during what time period.

Years passed- we went our separate ways. Both of us served missions, went to college, etc. She married and now has 4 beautiful children and a fantastic husband. Somehow, we managed to work our way back into each other's lives. I'm not entirely sure how- maybe Facebook, maybe not. I really don't know. But, we got to have lunch with each other a couple of weeks ago when I was headed to SLC for an appointment. And let me tell you, it was as fun to spend time with her now as it was when we were 18-year old wide-eyed freshmen. We laughed about life and had a good discussion about the heartbreaking choices of others. She is just as passionate about life and her family now as she ever was. Her chidren and home are beautiful- she is trendy, articulate and a woman determined to make a difference in the world. I truly believe she will.

The other kindred spirit is my friend Jean Marie. She and I met when we were both in the same ward for a short period of time. It is quite odd- she spent most of the time dating a certain young man in the ward and it was only about 6 months we knew each other. I think our friendship can tie back to a walk we took from a friend's house where we discussed a great many things. She is one who, like myself, is striving to find the best way to stay true to our testimonies of the gospel and to the values it instills in us, while being kind and accepting of everyone. She does a much better job of it than I. We are both dreamers who get lost in books, but she knits as well, and I lack the talent to wrap the yarn around the knitting needle. She is one of the sweetest people I know- it is almost humorous though to watch her when she gets upset at a perceived in justice. She can be upset while still being nice. I'm pretty sure she will win the Nobel Peace Prize someday.

Today, I am grateful for these two strong women and the examples of goodness they are to me. What friends are you grateful for today?

1 comment:

Sunshine Promises said...

This brought tears to my eyes this morning! It was so wonderful to have you over for lunch, my friend! We will definitely have to do it again soon.

Sans the unexpected drama.