Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Mini-Rant on Television


Okay, so I will freely admit that I probably watch too much television. There are shows I watch faithfully, ones I watch occasionally and ones I thoroughly enjoy but are only in syndication. I will give some new shows a chance to see if they can work their way into my lineup. And there are some shows that I like, but which are not good to watch if it is night, you are alone and you have an overactive imagination (I'm thinking Criminal Minds specifically- fascinating but best watched in large groups during the daylight).

But, I have to have a mini-rant about one of the new hip shows of the season, and that would be Glee. I had a mountain of laundry to do the other day, so I hunkered down and caught a few episodes on Hulu.

Now, don't get me wrong- I am all about the showtunes. Usually there is more than one song running through my head. I love a good jazz square as much as the next person- maybe more. I can deal with the pregnant teenagers- went to high school with some. I can deal with the gay character- one of my besties is similarly inclined. I can deal with the overacting of the gym teacher- slightly annoying but whatev. I even thought the whole football team dancing to "Single Ladies" was great! Maybe Utah State's football team should try.

I cannot, however, deal with the borderline adultery storyline between the Glee club director and the OCD, clean freak guidance counselor. I don't care that his wife is faking her pregnancy and is slightly more than nutso. It bugged me how mad he got at his wife when she showed up at his work. This is not, not, not okay! If they want him to hook up with the OCD lady, then they need to have a way to bump off the wife (make it some freak towel-stacking incident at Sheets & Things) and have it just be a cute storyline instead of having them both be involved with others and still flirt, crush, and whatnot on each other.

Oh- and one other thing- having the Glee club director (whom I happen to think is fab and adorable and uber talented) sing songs to supposed 15/16 year olds (who are actually 25-ish) about having sex with them is also not, not, not okay! Stick to showtunes and Taylor Swift songs, please!

2 comments:

Erin L said...

I agree. I watch it, but I seriously SQUIRM every time sheuster and OCD lady start looking cozy. I just want that whole side-story line to resolve itself so I can enjoy it in peace!

Cindy Lou said...

Amen sister. Although, I really did enjoy the mash-up songs.