
Today, I feel old. This is probably going to be a series of jumbled thoughts which may or may not string together.
My birthday is in a week- I will be no longer in my early 30s. I was on my first date 18 years ago today. The young man I went on said date with is married with 5 kids. We were on a double date- the other young lady is married with children and the other young man is a single parent (I think- at the least I know he is divorced). It was fantastic- picnic, water fight, walking around the Washington D.C. Temple.
I was outside washing my car this evening (I can't stand hot weather, so I wait until evening when I can stand being outside for more than a bit) watching a bunch of my neighborhood kids run and play and I got a little sad. What if my time for having that as part of my life is past? Will I always have only me to come home to? I certainly hope not.
The harsh reality is that there are not a lot of highly-functioning, job-holding, no criminal record having men living around me. The most interesting guys I have met lately who would be a blast to go out with with are of an age where, well, let's just say there's a big age difference.
I have thought about going back to school but all the schools I am looking at most closely are back East and even further way from the epicenter of single LDS men. I know I can't stay here in Utah solely for the purpose of trying to find a husband and that I'll find him when and if it is the right time, but still- I'm not getting any younger. And I don't want to have a life so busy with work and adventures that I find myself so far removed from the hope for eternal awesomeness that I don't see it when it comes along. (Okay, that sentence doesn't make sense but I don't want to re-write it. Deal.)
I'm not the kind to flock to the guys that all the girls want- I don't want to be be a shark like that. I prefer just to be my awesome self in my own way. I guess if that means I'm going to be single because I don't want to be one of "those girls", I guess that's okay.
I'm bored with my job- it doesn't challenge me. It is not an environment where I feel like I am living up to my potential on any level. I would walk away from it if I thought there was a chance I could find another quickly.
Sometimes I think I want to pack everything I can in my car, leave everything else, and just drive and end up in some small town in Oregon where I can work at the library during the day and one or two nights a week, work at the local market.
So, that's what is on my mind tonight- what about you?
4 comments:
oh my sweet shari. I say pack up and move to oregon. Who know what you'll find. :)
As much as I love having children. I wish I had taken a little time to focus on me. To go to school (HS is it so far), develop my talents, and see the world. The Lord has worked far greater miracles. He has only the best in mind for awesome gals like you; an original woman with great inner strength requires a great man... be patient as he puts all in order.
And by the by, BEST DATE. You're such a fun friend! Have a VERY happy birthday and look forward, live life, make inspired changes. He can inspire your other 1/2 to do the same!
I somehow missed this post a week ago, but I'm so glad I read it today - on your birthday. I think you are amazing and there will come a time - soon I think - that the change you have been waiting for will come along. I love you!!! Happy Birthday.
So that last comment was me, your dear sister, not Dave. But he loves you too.
Post a Comment