Speak clearly, if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall. --Oliver Wendell Holmes
As I ponder the events of September 11, 2001, my thoughts have been led to thinking about the words we use. I would argue that 9/11 was brought about because one person's words, evil though they most definitely were, led others to hold onto those words and acted on those words.
Words have the power to change the world. Words have the power to elevate the human heart and bring great joy. How many lives are changed by the words "Will you marry me?" or "Honey, I'm going to have a baby?" or even by a simple "Thank you". They have the power to destroy and cause hurt- too many people have heard the words "There's been an accident" or "I hate you".
There's a scene at the end of the movie Ever After where the queen of France says to Cinderella's stepmother "Choose your words wisely Baroness, they may be your last." I have not always been good at using my words. I'm still not very good- sometimes I use too many words, sometimes I don't say anything until the wrong time, sometimes I use words I wish I hadn't chosen.
If you knew it would be the last time you saw a friend or talked to a parent or that it would be your last chance to leave your mark on the world, what would your words be? Would they be words that let people know you care? People say they don't care what others think, but I don't believe that. I believe that everyone wants to be described with words like "caring, kind, loves their family and friends".
What words do you use to describe yourself? What words would you aspire to have others use to describe you? Will you use your words to create something good and tear down something bad? Will your words ease another's hurt and sorrow or leave a scar that time cannot heal?
I have heard different versions of a quote by Buddha- the essence of the quote is that we need to carefully choose our words because, for better or worse, they will influence people around us. So, let's all choose or words to influence for good, to inspire lift and strengthen and to make today better than tomorrow!
As I ponder the events of September 11, 2001, my thoughts have been led to thinking about the words we use. I would argue that 9/11 was brought about because one person's words, evil though they most definitely were, led others to hold onto those words and acted on those words.
Words have the power to change the world. Words have the power to elevate the human heart and bring great joy. How many lives are changed by the words "Will you marry me?" or "Honey, I'm going to have a baby?" or even by a simple "Thank you". They have the power to destroy and cause hurt- too many people have heard the words "There's been an accident" or "I hate you".
There's a scene at the end of the movie Ever After where the queen of France says to Cinderella's stepmother "Choose your words wisely Baroness, they may be your last." I have not always been good at using my words. I'm still not very good- sometimes I use too many words, sometimes I don't say anything until the wrong time, sometimes I use words I wish I hadn't chosen.
If you knew it would be the last time you saw a friend or talked to a parent or that it would be your last chance to leave your mark on the world, what would your words be? Would they be words that let people know you care? People say they don't care what others think, but I don't believe that. I believe that everyone wants to be described with words like "caring, kind, loves their family and friends".
What words do you use to describe yourself? What words would you aspire to have others use to describe you? Will you use your words to create something good and tear down something bad? Will your words ease another's hurt and sorrow or leave a scar that time cannot heal?
I have heard different versions of a quote by Buddha- the essence of the quote is that we need to carefully choose our words because, for better or worse, they will influence people around us. So, let's all choose or words to influence for good, to inspire lift and strengthen and to make today better than tomorrow!
3 comments:
Love it! I would love to be able to be remembered as one whose words were always edifying.
Me too Mom, me too!
You used your words well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Words have such power!
Post a Comment