Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Favorite Star





For a long time now, my favorite star has been the middle one on Orion's belt.  I love this time of year because it is so easy to see when the night sky is clear.  I decided a long time ago that this star is the one that you use to get to Neverland.  And then tonight, working on a talk for stake conference, I discovered this information about my favorite star:

Its name is Alnilam, which comes from Arabic and means "String of Pearls".  Of the three stars in Orion's belt, it is the most distant, but it shines the most brightly.  It is as a standard star- one whose brightness others are measured against.  It shines blue and its light serves as a backdrop to studying the surrounding stars and space.  It's a supergiant- the biggest and brightest kind of star.

If you don't have a favorite star, you should get one soon.  Learn its story.  Love it.

4 comments:

Arizona Tucson Mission 2015-2017 said...

eowIt will be interesting to see how you use that in a talk.

Kelli said...

A few years ago Ryan bought a star for me for my birthday. I think it's near the Big Dipper. It's not visible to the unaided eye. But cool that I have my own star. :)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

And I thought this was going to be another Whitney Houston post . . .

E McL said...

You are your favorite kind of star. I love your insights and wisdom.