So, I have given many of you snippets of what has gone on this week but thought I would put it out there for everyone to see/know about. I figure the more I talk about it, the more ridiculous it sounds, the less it will freak me out.
Let's go back in time, shall we? In December 2008, I was lucky enough to have an article I wrote submitted to the Ensign, a magazine the LDS church publishes for its members. Since the article was about me, there was a nice large photo of me that accompanied the article. The article was about how I had come to learn the difference between being physically whole and spiritually whole.
Fast forward to this past Sunday. My bishop corners me in the hall and says "I need to visit with you for a few minutes." Immediately I think I have offended someone because I told their child to be quiet and pay attention in Primary. (Don't mock- it happened before in another ward and the bishop of that ward came to talk to me.)
Nervously, I sat outside the bishop's office until it was my turn. After I expressed worry that I had offended someone, he chuckled and said "Oh no, you haven't offended anyone. But this is going to be the weirdest conversation you and I will probably ever have." Umm...okay.
Then he proceeded to tell me the following. Three or four months ago, he got a phone call from the LDS Church security department needing to talk about me. They had been contacted by the department responsible for putting out the Ensign and other church magazines, who prior to contacting security, had contacted the church's disability services division (who knew such a thing existed?).
In mid-April, so I guess it's just been 3 months, the magazine department received a letter with the return address of the Utah State Penitentiary. The letter, while addressed to the magazine department, was written to me. Apparently, a copy of my article made its way to the penitentiary and into the hands of a prisoner. This prisoner apparently was touched by something in the article and wanted to get in touch with me. The letter is kind of creepy- he basically says I am a fox and he would marry me in a New York minute and gave me his personal background and wanted me to get in touch with him when he is paroled.
So, this letter raised red flags with the powers that be in Salt Lake and they contacted my bishop and stake president. And that is what brought me into my bishop's office.
Naturally, I was not flattered. I was a little creeped out. So, I have spent the better part of the week doing things like tweaking my Facebook profile so it isn't searchable, deleting various accounts, making "me" a little less findable. Now, since I work in the public sector, I know that there is only so much I can do. But, some extra measures have been put in place at work as well.
I also wanted to make sure this guy doesn't get in touch with me, so I called the Department of Corrections and spoke with a lovely sergeant who instructed me on what I need to do. So, I'll be visiting the courthouse this afternoon to get a protective order put in place and then it'll be served on the guy at the jail and if he violates it, he will be a guest of the state for much longer.
Am I worried? Not really. I take comfort in the fact that I live near/work with several men who would lay down a world of hurt should this man ever attempt to contact me.
I guess next time I decide to publish something, I'll just use a picture of my foot.
4 comments:
What the freaking crap Shari!? I mean you can't really blame the guy. You're kiiiiiiiiiiiind of a hottie. :) But that is seriously freaky outy. I just got the shivers for you. Sorry. :(
I totally think the Ensign should use pictures of feet and hands instead of faces.
Oh my gosh! That is creepy! Stay safe! I am thinking maybe a picture of your left earlobe would be best as I hear some guys have a foot fetish.
Creepy....yes. A conversation you thought you'd never have with a priesthood leader? Probably...
Post a Comment