So, the past few weeks/two months have been a zoo and a half! Let me explain- no, there is too much- let me sum up. -The last weekend in July, I was headed to Idaho for a family reunion and got a phone call. I was asked to serve in the YW Presidency in my ward. I am tasked with the 12-13 year old girls. They are so much fun!
-The first weekend in August, we had a family reunion in Morgan at my grandpa's house. I think most of us suspected it would be the last time we got to see him here on earth. It was bittersweet- there were over 150 people there!
-That same week, I got a phone call from Fairfax County setting up a phone interview for a job I applied for way back when.
-The next week, I had the phone interview. A few days after that, they called back and said they wanted to have me fly out to Virginia and do an in person interview. I was super flattered- they had over 100 people apply for the job and only had 4 fly out for interviews.
-August 27th, I headed out to Va. The interview was on a Tuesday, but seeing as how I hadn't taken a "me" vacation for a year, I decided to take the whole week off. I squeezed in dinner with various people I've been friends with for 25 years, staying with old church friends, my inaugural trip to the International Spy Museum, a tour of the Capitol, a Washington Nationals baseball game, looking acclimated enough to the area that I was asked for directions multiple times on the Metro, hours spent trapsing through my childhood neighborhood. It was great fun!
-When I got back, I got to teach a lesson in YW on the importance of leading a virtuous life. That could have been all sorts of awkward, but blessedly, it was not.
-That afternoon (this is Labor Day weekend in case you lost track), I headed up to Pocatello to hang out with my parents and lil' sister. We went to the Eastern Idaho State Fair, cheered for another lil' sis who got all sorts of ribbons for her photography and stitchery, and ate something delicious and fried.
-That evening, my sweet grandpa passed away at the age of 92. We cried a little and waited for the sun to come out- it always does you know. So, I managed to be at work for 3 days. Then it was off for the next round of adventures.
-The Friday after Labor Day, I took off so I could pick my brother up from the airport. All of my siblings flew in for the funeral. While I was picking him up, I got a phone call from Fairfax County offering me the job! So, we drove back from the airport and I discussed job specifics with the division director.
-That afternoon, Mom and Dad came down because Dad was ridingin Lotoja the next day! So, the 4 of us got up at 6:00 Saturday morning, went and cheered Dad and his relay team on at the start line and spent all day (and I mean all day) riding along on the race course. Dad crossed the finish line, we cheered and shed a few tears and then we headed back to my house, finally getting home at 1230 a.m. I am so proud of Dad!
-Sunday, everyone else headed down first thing in the morning to Layton to our hotel. I went to sacrament meeting, came home and packed, and then joined them. Poppy's viewing was Sunday night. Many of the grandkids just hung out at the house for a while after they kicked us out of the funeral home (there were too many of us so it crowded out the public.) :)
-That night at the hotel, after much merriment in the pool, some of us had the chance to hang out with our redneck cousins. It was hilarious and fun.
-The funeral Monday was fantastic. It was filled with warm memories and the warmth of the Spirit. I am thankful for the knowledge I have that families will be together forever. That evening, I even managed to squeeze in a showing of the play Pirates of Penzance. I was able to renew a connection with a person of interest. :)
-Since I had to be back in Salt Lake on Tuesday night, I opted to just stay down and have some quietish time to contemplate what I was going to do- whether or not to take the job. So, Tuesday I had the great chance to spend time with Mom and a couple of her sisters, talking and laughing and reminiscing. As a throwback to my childhood, I walked barefoot down the road to Poppy's house.
-Tuesday night, I headed to my hotel in SLC for the next 4 days. I had a work conference. By Tuesday night, I was so exhausted that I fell on my comfy king sized hotel bed and slept ever so soundly.
-Saturday, once the conference was over, I headed home. I was going to stay and play but by this time (in case you're adding it up), I had been gong for 17 out of 21 days and I just wanted to go home.
That Saturday was just over a week ago. I am so glad to be back into my routine of work and mutual and all those sorts of things!
Oh- and I decided to not take the job. There were a few things that factored into it, but when it came right down to it, I just feel like there are things I've yet to accomplish here in Cache Valley!
5 comments:
You're amazing!
awesome. love it all.
....redneck cousins?
BMBH- I have some serious redneck cousins. Big mustache sportin', hat wearing, beer drinking, belt buckle the size of my face sporting rednecks. They are great!
i love the movie quotes you interjected.
Sounds like you are happy! Thanks for the great example and great adventures!
Post a Comment