Sunday, February 23, 2014

I will go and do...




I have always looked up to my parents, but today, I was blessed to catch a glimpse of the true character of my dad. Last week, after a couple of weeks of not feeling well, my dad was diagnosed with Bells Palsy.

If I understand correctly, it is inflammation and temporary paralysis of the facial nerves and is caused by a virus. It usually goes away in 3-4 weeks, but while it is active, it causes pain and discomfort. Yesterday, for example, on the way home from Idaho Falls, he had to ride with his jacket over his face because the setting sun was in his eyes and causing a headache. 

This weekend was hard on him. I could tell he was in pain today and was struggling a bit. I know he is frustrated with the challenges this is causing him. It is difficult to close one eye, it is difficult to talk and some things are impossible to eat right now. 

My dad is not one to complain. He does what he is asked and does it to the best of his abilities. He takes his responsibilities as a dad, husband and priesthood holder seriously. He knows who he is and acts accordingly. 

So today, when he stood in front of a room of 150+ people to do his assigned church task, despite being in pain and a little hard to understand, I looked up and saw a Nephi. I cried. I cried because I saw a man who is willing to "...go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded..." because he knows that when he is acting on the Lord's errand, regardless of personal discomfort, all things are possible. I only hope I can have that same determination as I face my own challenges. 

Thanks Dad. 




No comments: