Tuesday, March 4, 2008

So Grateful....

I have been going through some training at the courthouse so I can volunteer with the Guardian ad litem's office and work with abused and neglected children. I have been sitting here tonight watching videos dealing with it- some showing pictures of the physical effects of abuse. I had to start doing something else and just listening to the video- the pictures were making me physically ill.

Wihtout going into details, it has made me really reflective. It makes me so grateful for the home I gew up in- I grew up in a home where we never had to worry about being hit or abused or yelled at. There was always love and caring. I never felt unsafe in my home. Even when I have said or done stupid things, I have always known I could go home and there would be people there who genuinely love and care about me. We always had hot water, clean clothes, good food and plenty of books and games and things to keep us entertained and educated. I am grateful that my family has made efforts to maintain those relationships over the years.

No comments: