
Let me start by saying that I love the Olympics! Ever since I was a little girl in gymnastics and idolized Mary Lou Retton, I have loved the 16 days of the Summer Olympics. I even used to watch the documentaries that would come out after the Olympics were over (I think it was called 16 Days of Glory). So, since I was actually home on Friday night, I decided to watch the opening ceremonies. Holy cow! They were insanely awesome. I especially loved the image of the rings lifting off of the floor and the LED scroll unrolling with the people skating and writing it. Oh, and the guy who lit the torch- granted, the running around the entire stadium took a little long, but him looking like he was running and then how the torch was actually lit was incredible!
Now, I recognize that China has human rights issues and some serious problems, but I have been so impressed with how they have presented themselves and how they have been so good to recognize the efforts of all athletes- they have shown true sportsmanship and have done an amazing job.
The reason I love the Olympics I'm sure has been said over and over. For a little while, people put aside major and minor differences and we all celebrate the thrill of success, of underdogs triumphing. It is awesome to watch. I never thought I would cheer out loud at the television for swimming and gymnastics. I love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment