Saturday, December 13, 2008

My 15 Minutes

Okay, so I have an article in December's Ensign magazine. It's just about me and coming to terms with my physical challenges and how I had to learn to rely more on the Lord (something I still have to learn and re-learn every day!). I knew a while back that I needed to write the experience down. I have wanted to do some freelance writing work for a long time (my ultimate goal is to write a novel). About 18 months ago, I decided to submit the article to the Ensign, just to see what happened. Well, the accepted it for publication! A few rounds of minor edits later, and there you have it. Then, in September, the magazine department called me and asked if they could send a photographer up to take pictures of me to include in the magazine. I'm not such a fan of having my picture taken, but said sure.

The whole article is here.

It's been kind of fun to hear from a lot of people I have known over the years and a few people I've never known. I never went into it thinking anything like that would happen. It's flattering to hear all the nice things that people have had to say and to know that I could have helped them feel the Spirit.

So, thanks for all the kind words, notes and emails! I feel so blessed to have all of you in my life!

5 comments:

Sunshine Promises said...

Just read your article, Shar. Love. It. You are so inspiring. Do you know what the ironic thing is though? I've never noticed your drooping eye. I've only seen YOU. I was rather taken aback when I read other's response to you. To me, you are a beautiful, talented, outgoing woman whom I've ALWAYS thought highly of and who I am proud to know. This article only strengthens those feelings.

Thank you for who you are. You are an example to many.

Anonymous said...

Loved the article. My children were WAY impressed!

RaelynB. said...

Hey Sheri. I don't know if your remember me, I'm Raelyn Wiser Briscoe (I went to Ricks w/ you. and I'm JD's sister-in-law.) anyway, I had to tell you that I loved your article in the Ensign. I was so impressed by it. It was inspiring. You are an amazing person. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

Holly said...

So my Mom remembers your Dad from way back when, we were roomates at Utah State, and now I find out you work with my parents at the Temple??? Wowzers! What a small world it's turned out to be! :) Way to go on making the Ensign, your article was very touching and I'm sure you've inspired others with your thoughts and testimony! Thanks for sharing it! :)

P.S. Tell my parents "hi", you get to see them more than I do! :( sigh!

Amy Hunter said...

Well, I'm embarassed because I let my subscription lapse in December and with the rush of the holidays I haven't gotten it renewed! I wish I would have seen/read your article sooner. Thank you for sharing that. I was really touched. You are amazing.