So, a while back, my cousin Crystal told me about Camp Hobe, a place she has volunteered for the past couple of summers. It is a camp for kids who have or have had cancer. They do weeks for kids 4-7, 6-12 and then teenagers up to 17. She talked about how great it is and how much fun she has had.
So, since I try to find something service-ish to do each summer and knowing that doing something for other people is the best way to get over myself, I decided to apply to be a counselor. I had an interview with them a while back. I interviewed with Penny and Kevin, they have both been counselors for a while. It was really fun-really easy to relax and laugh and tell mildly embarrassing stories.
They told us that they would let us know sometime during mid-April. Well, today I got an email from Chris, she is the main person in charge of the camp. I have been accepted/hired to work during kids' week!!! I am so excited to go. I have been a counselor before and loved it. I know this will be different and probably emotionally draining, but I am so excited to go be with kids who have overcome so much and to laugh and play and help them forget about the adult problems they face for a while.
So, June 7-12, I will be holed up in Tooele with a bunch of amazing kids having a blast!
4 comments:
yeah songsty!! that would be a great experience. good luck.
Wow, that will be an emotional experience. I'm sure it will be quite life changing. How amazing. Those kids will be so blessed to have you and you will be blessed to have them. I'm way excited for ya Shar!
I'm so excited for you!! You will become an Camp Hobe addict even before you get to the camp. It is the best summer camp in the whole world!! And yes, it's emotionally draining. I have never cried so hard or laughed so much as I have at Hobe. You will love it!!
I'm so excited for you. You're going to love it, and you'll be amazing at it. And yes, it is emotionally draining. I have never cried so hard in my life, but I have never laughed so much either!
Post a Comment