Sunday, September 13, 2009

I Left My Heart in Oregon.....


Oh, my goodness! Let me just start by saying that if you have never been to the Oregon coast, it is an absolute must!

A couple of months ago, I decided I needed a break in the worst way possible. So, my little sis Heather and I decided to take off for parts West- namely, Cannon Beach, OR. I picked Heather up in Boise and we were off.

Our first fantastic stop was Baker City- we just needed a rest for a bit. We met a lovely couple (we decided their names are Nancy and Steve)- they were on their way back to Washington after having spent 10 days in Idaho and Utah. We had them take a picture for us- they were great to oblige.

We pressed on, but upon recommendation of our older sister Kelli, decided to stop at Multnomah Falls, just outside of Portland. Again- if you have never been there, it is a must! So, so, so beautiful!

We got to Cannon Beach about 4:00 p.m., aided by the change in time, rested for a few minutes after checking in to the hotel, and hit the beach for a lovely stroll. We were about a 10-15 minute stroll down the beach from Haystack Rock. The next 3 days were great!!!!! Eating, strolling on the beach, napping, reading, more strolling on the beach, standing with my feet in the freezing ocean!

We tried going to Astoria, but it was raining so hard when we got there Sunday after church that we didn't even get out of the car. We stopped at a random restaurant called "The Pirate Cove General Store & Restaurant"- I had the best guacamole bacon cheeseburger of my life! We had gone to a ward in Seaside- the bishop almost looked like Hitler (he had one of those type mustaches)- there were lots of people visiting.

Sunday we were walking on the beach and I met a lovely couple from Centerville, UT- Jim & Lyndee Robbins. They were actually staying at our same hotel- such nice people! We also got asked if we were LDS by a random family riding bikes down the beach- we were in our comfy dresses we had worn to church. The Dad rode by us and asked "Did you guys go to church today?" when we told him yes, he said "Are you guys LDS?" and when we said yes, he gave us the thumbs up and rode off. I have no idea what his name was.

On the way back, we stopped at a restaurant in Hood River, OR called "The Egg Harbor Cafe". There were only about 3 items on the menu that didn't have eggs in them. It was a random, small town-y restaurant where the waitresses wear mismatched aprons and probably the locals go for coffee and toast every morning.

Oh- and the other fun thing we did was go to Tillamook! We were all stoked to drive down there and watch them make cheese (we have an affinity for cheese in my family, particularly among certain members). Sad day of all sad days, they were not working on Labor Day, so the production line was non-functional. But, we picked up some cheese and trinkets and sampled some good cheese, so it was great!

Important things to know about Oregon:
-They have no sales tax. I think they compensate for it though by charging more for gas.
-Weirdest thing- you can't pump your own gas! I tried doing that at the first place. The pump jockey (or whatever he is called) ran up to me and asked what I was doing....um, getting some gas in my car? That is when I found out no self-service in Oregon- weird!
-There are lots of restaurants there named after me. One of these minutes I will eat at one of those places.

I really don't even have the words to describe how great of a time I had. The drive along the Columbia River on the way to Portland is just flat out beautiful! I want to go again when I have the time/inclination to stop at the dams and go out on them. And that doesn't even compare to driving Highway 101 down the coast! I swear being there made me feel like I would never be angry or frustrated again!

I took loads of pictures, but here are a few highlights! Enjoy- I certainly did!







5 comments:

Heather said...

Hello, yeah, Oregon is awesome. I try to tell everyone that but they always say "But doesn't it rain all the time?" I tell them that one nice day in Oregon is worth all the rainy days. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. I hope you got some fudge in Tillamook too. By the way, Oregon makes up for not having sales tax by having some of the highest property taxes in the nation. Doug hates it when we visit, but trust me, you can easily get use to not pumping your own gas especially when it is blustery and cold. Pumping my own gas is still one of my least favorite things.

Anyway, I'm envious of your trip. Nothing like pure leisure at the Oregon coast.

P.S. Shari's is a couple steps up from Denny's and a place we always went in high school because it was open after 10pm. YUM. Club sandwiches and milkshakes.

Heather said...

Oh, another thing. Next time you are in Oregon, you must stop at a Burgerville. It's a northwest treat. They use Tillamook beef, cheese and icecream and bring in fresh halibut for their fish and chips. Whatever the Oregon season specialty, boysenberry, strawberry, pumpkin, etc, they make the most AMAZING milkshakes. And it's fast food. You may need to go back just for Burgerville, girlfriend.

Cindy Lou said...

Thanks for the anonymous cheese affinity shout out. Was that just for me? I have a sneaking suspicion it was.

Sunshine Promises said...

Can't get away from us Centervillians, can ya? I know the Robbins. Quite well, in fact. Lyndee was a cheerleader in Junior High with my mom, I grew up with their daughter Jamie and their boys wrestled with my brothers. Crazy, crazy.

I'll have to plan a relaxing trip to Oregon . . . as soon as my in-laws move from the general vacinity ;-)

lori said...

I LOVE the pictures. So beautiful I think I will definatily have to go someday. Sounds like you guys had such a great time. Sounds like the kindof vacation I need.