"...I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them." -David A. Bednar
So, this week I was thinking about tender mercies. I have a friend who was in what could have and should have been a serious hunting accident. Long story short, he was shot in the chest at point blank range. He spent a couple of days in the hospital, but is doing remarkably well. The other night, thinking he was in need of some TLC, I went to his house to take him an "I'm Glad You're Not Dead" present, which as it turns out, he didn't really need, but I gave it to him nonetheless. As we talked and he told me about all that had happened with his little accident, I was amazed at all the "little" things that happened that were out of the norm. Had any of those things not happened, it is very likely that he would have died or at least been seriously disfigured. As it is, he has a few scars and wounds that will heal over time and to look at him, you wouldn't think anything had really happened, although it does look like he had his eyebrow pierced once upon a time.
It made me think on a larger scale about the tender mercies of the Lord. I wonder how many times we are much closer to danger than we realize and it is only because of the "little" things that we are spared. Do we stop to acknowledge those things? Do we look for the tender mercies, the little things, in our lives?
I know that in my life, I have been spared because of the tender mercies of the Lord. Years ago, I fell asleep driving and rolled/totaled my car. Had a series of things not happened, there would have been injuries, possible deaths, and a lot more chaos resulting from the accident. I am grateful for all the little things that resulted in nothing more than a sore neck and a beat up car.
I know that tender mercies are for more than just keeping us out of danger. They are a vist from a friend on the day when we feel like we just can't take it anymore. They are a neighbor offering to go to the grocery store for us when we are too sick to do it on our own. They are the home teachers who call because they feel the need to do so. They are the little things that aren't so little. They can and do make a difference in our lives and in the lives of others.
I am grateful to Heavenly Father for His tender mercies. I know they are everywhere, many we recognize, some we do not. I am grateful that the Lord gives us the opportunity to learn of Him through those tender mercies. I know that we can be an instrument for the Lord to show His tender mercies to His children. The more we look for and acknowledge them, the more we are able to see them.
1 comment:
I started keeping a tender mercies journal about two months ago. It helps me keep a positive attitude about life because I am now looking for things to put in it.
Post a Comment