Okay, so my friends got married last week. I was invited to be a part of all wedding festivities, brinner, ceremony, reception, etc. Wednesday, the day of the actual wedding, was spent with me pretending I was the Maid of Honor and going with the bride to do a great many things and being probably overly helpful (translation: I was being a little bossy so that things would get done). When it came time to change into wedding clothes, the bride & groom were in a bit of a pinch, so I called my brother-in-law's parents who happened to live right close to where we were and we used their house. Thanks Bruce & Ellie!
The ceremony was beautiful (I learned to not ever judge when I hear something is going to be in Roy. This backyard was a little slice of heaven on earth. Incredible what these people have done with their little property.) There was much love in the air. Tears were shed, smiles were plentiful, all good things.
Okay, so here's my thwarted flirting attempt. Preface: I am good with directions. I had to leave the reception early to get back for a work meeting so I had already figured out how to get back to the freeway from where I was- I came in a different way than I would need to go out.
There was this guy at the wedding. Let's call him Flash. Not because of any inappropriate behaviors, but because he was videoing/taking pictures of the blessed event. Flash is tall and beautiful- super blue eyes, lanky, snappy dresser, hint of mystery about him.
I had a moment to chat with the bride & groom pre-reception, so I informed them that immediately upon their return from the honeymoon, they should set me up with Flash. Groom suggested that I go talk to Flash. I said nah, just hook me up when you get back. But then, I got the idea to ask him if he knew how to get to the freeway. So, I walked up to him and tapped him on the arm (only because he is tall, I couldn't reach his shoulder without being awkward) and asked. He was starting to tell me when the following happened:
Overly Helpful Sister In Law of the Bride interrupts Flash and says: "Oh, I know how. You just go down this street and turn left on this other one and go straight until you hit the freeway exit."
And with that, my attempt at a conversation/flirtation episode with Flash ground to a screeching, mildly awkward halt. I wanted to scream "Look, married chick, I already know how to get there. I'm trying to talk to a hot guy. Go away. You have just ruined my life forever!" (okay, not really about the ruining my life forever, that's just for dramatic effect.)
I think I managed to mumble something about thanks to him and something else awkward. Then I really did have to go, so I didn't even get a chance to repair the awkwardness.
So, if there is a lesson in this, let it be: Married people- if you see two single people talking (and check for rings on the all important fingers when surmising the situation), don't be helpful or offer directions unless specifically asked! In all likelihood, they are just trying to work it in someway or another and you will more than likely squash any hopes of them having a flirtation.
So, my moment with Flash was thwarted. Maybe I'll get a second chance?
2 comments:
I like a hint of mystery . . .
hahahaha, I love this story (but only in a "I can relate - move out of our way, married people, scheeze" way) but my empathies do reach out to you! You are such a fun writer, Miss Shari.
Post a Comment