I went to a funeral. I knew the man's wife better than I knew him, so I went for her. I knew that this man and my friend didn't have a great relationship, but it made my heart break for her to hear little to nothing mentioned of her during the funeral services. It gave me a newfound appreciation for the sweet relationship my parents have for one another (imperfect as it may be, I love how my Dad freely admits he has a crush on Mom and how cute they look sitting in their chairs doing crossword puzzles or reading scriptures).
If I am ever so fortunate to meet that special someone, I don't want just any old relationship. I want the kind of relationship that gets talked about at his funeral. I want to be with someone who is excited to come home from work to hang out with me. I want a guy who will sit and watch me have an ugly cry and still think I am beautiful. I want someone who is my best friend, my confidant, my knight in shining armor (even if his armor has dents). I want to take care of him and have him take care of me. I want to genuinely say "I like this man!" I want a man whose hand fits mine just so.
I know those relationships can and do exist. If both people want that kind of relationship and work for that relationship, it can happen! That's what I want.
No comments:
Post a Comment