Today at work, I got accused (halfway in jest) of being a grinch because I didn't jump at the chance to decorate a tree for the office. I love Christmas, but I cannot bring myself to buy a Christmas tree or get overly excited about decorating one (except my parents- we did that on Sunday and it was a grand time). Let me explain why-
There are a lot of things I am good at doing by myself- grocery shopping, laundry, getting my oil changed. And 99.9% of the time, I don't even think twice about these kinds of things. But at Christmas, all of the sudden, it becomes a lot harder to do things alone, especially things that are tied so closely to doing them in large groups. And for someone who grew up in a large family, decorating a Christmas tree is one of those.
So, I am not a grinch- and, contrary to what someone said to me the other day, not wanting a Christmas tree has nothing to do with not knowing the real reason for Christmas. I love the special emphasis on the Savior and have already listened to the Hallelujah Chorus and For Unto Us a Child is Born more than a few times! Some things just make me a little sad at Christmas.
So, what will I do this Christmas? I'm seriously debating being a secret Santa for someone. And I will try my best to be happy (after tomorrow night- I have a particularly exhausting meeting to attend that I don't think I will be able to get through without thinking at least 7 mean thoughts about people) and bring a little cheer to those around me who aren't as fortunate as me. I will smile and laugh and take the time to drive around and look at lights. I will play in the snow, if it ever gets here, and drink hot chocolate and eat at least 3 candy canes and 6 plates of goodies. I will listen to Christmas music and watch Christmas movies and renew my yearly crush on the guy who plays Omar in the Liken the Scriptures movie The First Christmas and I will love the time I get to spend with family and friends. I just don't want to buy and decorate a tree. Maybe some day, just not this year.
And I will listen to the Muppets singing this song and try to be Santa Claus:

3 comments:
Love that song! I've never heard it before. It is awesome.
I echo Erin. I also love reading the things you say & hope you are having a Happy Holiday month!
You know how to say things that ring true. I love you!
Post a Comment