So, Saturday night, Mark & I were babysitting his neice and nephew while his sister and brother-in-law went to a family function of some sort. When they got home, we were talking with his sister Megan and somehow, cheesy LDS novels got brought up. About 3 years ago, Mark & I made up a plot line for one of these novels- we were remembering that Saturday night. For some reason, I saved the email conversation we had when we "wrote" this story line.
So, without further ado, I present the details of the plot line for "Fleeing Love" by Sharisse Morringbrooke (that was our pen name. It was either that or a combination of our names- something like Mari Phippis or Shark Morrisen):
BASIC PLOT: We have Jessica, running away from abusive Paul. She just finished her nuring degree from BYU. Changing her name to Rachel to not be discovered, she goes to Serbia where she meets Angelo and they fall in love while curing an outbreak of small pox amongst the gypsies- but, Angelo catches small pox and they are forced to go to Italy, only to be tracked down by her ex-husband.
MORE DETAILS:
-Angelo has a child from his first wife who died tragically.
-The cover will have a stethoscope and a rose, with a map of Italy faintly in the background.
-No one believed her that she was being abused by Paul.
-Paul comes to Italy to finalize the divorce. Paul will want Jessica back and pretend he has changed and show some niceties towards her trying to get her to come back to America but she won't.
-His true colors come back and then there is a showdown between Angelo and Paul in the rain on the streets of Brindisi, Italy.
-Jessica is struggling with priesthood authority because of Paul and also because of her father's issues.
-Some of the narrative is told through emails home to her best friend Stacey who lives in Kaysville with her husband Brad, who is a righteous priesthood holder.
-Stacey tries to get Jessica to believe that there are good priesthood holders, but until Jessica meets Angelo, she doesn't believe it.
-One of the other nurses with the WHO gets sick and Angelo gives her a blessing and then they start to teach her the gospel.
-So, that restores Jessica's faith in the priesthood so when Angelo gets so sick, Angelo gets a blessing for his small pox from the branch president in Brindisi, whose name is Pres. Paolo DaVinci.
I laughed really hard tonight re-reading through this....hopefully you enjoyed it! (Oh, and just FYI, I'm not really serious about turning this into a book- we were just having a grand old time "writing" one day.)
5 comments:
I had a good hearty guffaw over this. Mostly because the names (Jessica, Paul, etc.) are SO CCN. You should write it, but as a satire of all cheesy church novels.
That is AWESOME! I love the cover idea. I could totally see myself picking that one off the shelf. The rose...perfect. I also love the Stacy/Brad in Utah idea. Brilliant tie in. Their names are PERFECT. You are going to be rich, girlfriend!
i really hate cheesy church novels. but if you wrote it i'd skim through it.
i can't tell you the last time i read a cheesy church novel. but i think you hit most of the points that seemed to be covered in all of them. except that maybe she is pregnant.
Boy, I'm scared to email or write anything, for fear that it will go into the vault of previous conversations.... I think I better stop typing now.
Rusty Shakelford
Post a Comment