Friday, August 28, 2009

My Guts

So, I have been a fairly gutsy person most of my life. It has frequently gotten me into trouble, but once in a while, it serves me well and I am proud of myself for it. Tonight was one such night.

Let me go back a couple of years- I was having an angsty sort of few days and one Sunday morning, I woke up and flipped on KBYU (church was at 1:00). It was at the beginning of a program, so I decided to watch. It was a program called "The First Christmas" (it's one of the Liken the Scriptures series- highly recommended). One of the shepherds in the show is named Omar. He sings a couple of different songs. As I watched him sing, I could see his testimony in his eyes- I knew that he knew. I sat and cried and felt the strength I needed to get through the week. I have the soundtrack to "The First Christmas" and the dvd and frequently watch/listen to them, even when it is the middle of the summer.

Okay, so flash forward to just a few weeks ago. I went over to the Pickleville Playhouse with some friends to see a melodrama, which btw, was fantastic! I was flipping through the playbill and whose picture should I see, but Omar's! The guy who plays him is Michael DuBois. He is in Pickleville's other show this summer, Annie Get Your Gun. He plays Frank Butler. Anywho, when I saw his picture, I knew I had to get tickets and come see AGYG. Throw in a neighbor with free tickets and a willing friend, and viola- that's what I did tonight.

It was great! Acted well, sung even better, great times! I had this whole plan worked up where I was going to linger after the show and tell Michael how great I thought he was and how much I appreciated him for his testimony and his music and what he'd done with his talents. But, as I am prone to do, I started to lose my nerve. My friend Brittany and I had even worked out in the car what i was going to say. But, I persevered. When the crowd had almost all gone, I walked up and put my arm through his and asked him if I could tell him a story. Anyways, I told him all what I wanted to say (thanks for having a testimony and I could see it in his eyes when he sings and thanks for magnifying his talents) and he loved it! He said hearing stuff like that makes it all worth it for him.

And- he lives in Logan. I think I need to be friends with him. Now to figure out how....

So, there you go- sometimes when you have guts you get to make people's day and make new friends!

Post Blog Add- Brittany reminded me that I need to add that I had to hop over a split-rail fence to get to talk to him 'cause we were starting to walk away and then I decided to go for it and that's when I walked up to him. And he asked me where I was from and I told him that I ended up in Logan after a mission to transfer to USU and then I came back after graduate school and now I work for one of the towns in the Valley.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention how you hopped the fence to get to him, and about how in one breath, you mentioned all your hot dating credentials without even blinking.

You're kind of a superhero.