Sunday, August 9, 2009

My Summer Vacation



So, the other day, I was sitting thinking that not much adventurous had happened to be lately and I was feeling slightly sad. But then I realized I have had great adventures and a couple of near misses.

Thing #1- The Demolition Derby! While I enjoy my refined things in life- theater, museums, poetry, art, I have to get in touch with my ghetto-ness once in a while. So, a few weeks ago, I got with some friends and we went to a demolition derby here in Logan. It was awesome! We were sitting front and center- dirt flew around us and we got to see the good derby people come and go. My favorite was the girl with basketball shorts that were 3 sizes to big and the tank top that read Psycho $*@&$!. There was a couple there that were so obviously on a first date- we made up a fun story. I think their names were Tanner and Michaela. He just got home off his mission and she really liked his roommate but they were just friends, so he got the all clear from his roommate to take her out. I heart making up stories about random people. It makes time pass while waiting for the cars to line up.

Thing #2- Drive-In! So, opening weekend for Harry Potter 6, a group of us girls decided we needed to be cool at the drive-in in Ogden. Seriously, that is the greatest place ever! Besides the fact that the movie was great, the people watching was even better! There was one lady (and I am not making this up) who was wearing cut-off sweatpants under her black fringed leather/suede skirt. It was awesome! Then there was the mini-van full of gals parked next to us. They were sweet, but oh, I wanted so badly to take them and just say "Honey, take a little pride in your appearance! Wash your face, wash your hair and if you must wear a wife beater and pajama pants, at least get ones in your size." They had two little kids with them and the whole time, I kept half-expecting the kids to get hurt when the shovel they were using to hold the back of the car open collapsed.



Thing #3- Solo Movie Trip! I have never gone to a movie alone. I can barely eat alone in a Wendy's! But, some plans fell through last night and I really wanted to go see Julie & Julia, so I braved my self-consciousness and took myself to the show. The nachos I bought were kind of nasty, but the movie was great! It was mostly older people on dates, so I sat between two couples. The whole movie makes me want to do something fantastic and drastic with my life- maybe move to Paris and go to cooking school.

Thing #4- Conversation in the WalMart Parking Lot! This happened on the same night as Thing 3 (last night). The original plan was for a friend and her bf to set me up with his roommate. We were all going to go to the Jon Schimdt concert at Wolf Creek and have a grand old time. Well, friend and bf broke up, but boy and I chatted briefly on FB and decided we still wanted to go to concert. Boy ended up working until it was too late to go, so that is why I took myself to a movie. Boy called while I was in the movie, so I called him back when I got out of the movie. I needed to go return a couple of things to WalMart, so I ended up sitting in the parking lot there while I talked to Boy on the phone. We talked for 45 minutes- mostly about our mutual friends and whatnot. Not a typical get to know you conversation.

Thing #5- Cannon Beach!- Okay, so this one isn't going to happen for 3.5 more weeks, but my little sister Heather and I are going to the Oregon Coast over Labor Day weekend. Our hotel is a block from the beach. There will be much beach reading, relaxing and rejuvinating involved. Details and pictures will come.

Now I am off to do some sabbath visiting and neighborly hello-ing! I heart me!

2 comments:

Erin L said...

that is way fun! I heart you too.

Amy Hunter said...

I totally want to see Julie/Julia!! I'm jealous of all your fabulous plans! I hope you throughly enjoy yourself! I heart you too. You ROCK.