Monday, May 3, 2010

My Disney Diet

I was raised on a steady diet of old Disney movies. Family movie night was an essential part of my growing up experience. It wasn't just Disney animated movies, in fact, it mostlty wasn't. It was large parts musical, dogs with various maladies, and singing plants. I remember when I was about 7, we got our first vcr. I think the first show we recorded was Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

So, in honor of that and in honor of a perfect treasure I discovered at The Book Table (great local bookstore where I have spent many hours and many dollars), I thought I would give a brief recap of some of the highlights of my childhood Disney entertainment diet.

Snowball Express- this was my glorious Book Table find this weekend! I love, love, love this movie! Man from Herbie the Love Bug is a thankless accountant in some insurance company in NYC. He is married to Nancy from Pollyanna and Tom Sawyer and some random girl are their children. They discover that he has inherited a hotel in Silver Hill, CO and promptly pack everything they own into a 1970 tan station wagon (because apparently, it is large enough to fit 4 people's lives) and move across the country. They discover that, among other things, the hotel is dilapidated and basically non-functional, Col. Potter from MASH is a semi-homeless guy who lives in the kitchen, the town mechanic is Goober Pyle (cousin of Gomer Pyle from The Andy Griffith Show), and the bank secretary stars in White Christmas and Sister Act. Hilarity ensues as they try to make a go of things. You'll learn the importance of "Track!" watching the movie.

The Girl Who Spelled Freedom- for a few years, every week, there was a glorious thing known as the Disney Sunday Movie. Each week started as Michael Eisner walked across the animated background of some sort (for some reason, the one from Robin Hood sticks out) and he tells viewers something heartwarming about the show they are about to watch. Well, after Mr. Eisner's gracious introduction to this movie, we see young children wading with their parents through a rice paddy (I am assuming, we're going on memory here). They manage to escape and emigrate to Tennessee. Struggles ensue as the family tries to adapt to their new surroudings. One girl triumphs and overcomes to love her new surroundings and win the school spelling bee championships, hence the title of the show.

And then there is the family favorite Toby Tyler. Toby is an orphan, taken in by his well meaning but childless and mean Uncle Daniel and Aunt Olive. One day, due to a misfortune on the farm, Toby is feeling particularly low, so he runs away and joins the circus. Hijinx ensue as he befriends a monkey named Mr. Stubbs (as a side note, I have a nephew who looked like a monkey when he was little so we called him Mr. Stubbs). Toby develops a crush on Jeanette, one of the acrobats. Toby is detested by Jeanette's partner, Ajax. But don't worry, Ajax gets his due when he is trying to show off and suffers a well-deserved but bad injury. Toby is taken under the wing of Ben, the circus strongman, who will be familiar to you if you ever saw the old Babes in Toyland- he was Gonzorgo, one of the bad guys. Toby becomes the star of the circus but then tragedy calls him home. Hearts will be warmed, a tear or two will be shed, you will see dogs eating scrambled eggs for breakfast and you will learn to "Save your money."

There were many more great shows- Swiss Family Robinson, Strongest Man in the World (starring a young Kurt Russell), the Ugly Dachshaund and a great many Hayley Mills shows. Disney movies were watched often and were loved by all. But, the hour is late, so I will leave you with this parting thought from Pollyanna: "I'll lam into you something fierce next week- and you know I can do it too!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how come i don't remeber watching the first two? i mean, i have a vague memory of them since you recapped them for us, but i definitely couldn't give the account you did. maybe we grew up in two different homes.

Emma said...

You are bringing back all sorts of memories for me!! I loved "The Girl Who Spelled Freedom". It's probably pretty cheesy, I haven't seen it in years!
Aaron's family just rented "Snowball Express" from netflix, but I haven't seen it.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

The first show we recorded was Space Camp.

I only realized a few weeks ago that Joaquin Phoenix is the kid in that movie, but his name was like Forest or something.