I have been wrestling with a thought all day.
I went to Stake Conference today. It was great- I struggle with the Saturday night session (in a family stake, it is usually about very family things and last night was much the same- it was a bit disheartening), but I always enjoy Sunday.
There was a choir of women who sang a song that I have heard several times before. It's called "Behold the Wounds in Jesus Hands" I love the song and the message about the Savior's atonement, but there is a line in it that doesn't quite sit right with me.
These are the words to the first verse:
Behold the wounds in Jesus' hands, the marks upon His side.
Then ponder who He meant to save when on the cross He died.
We cannot see the love of God which saves us from the fall,
Yet know that Christ from wood and nails built mansions for us all.
It's the third line "...we cannot see the love of God" that bothers me.
I see the love of God everywhere I look! I see the love of God in the fresh air that I breathe in and fills my lungs and the knowledge that I am doing so in a free land where I can worship as I please.
I see the love of God in the mountains, in the leaves that fall from the trees and cover the ground each fall and in the new life that is renewed each Spring in the flowers and animals and crops.
I see the love of God in the eyes and unconditional love and trust of children.
I see the love of God in the outpouring of kindness from friends and strangers alike, that has been shown to a dear friend and her family in their deepest hours of grief.
I see the love of God in parents who strive to be in tune with what the Lord would have them do to bless the lives of their children, even if it means personal sacrifice for them.
I see the love of God in the sunset each day because it means that no matter that day's mistakes or the tears that may be on my pillow that night, because the sun has set, it will rise again, bring a chance to start again to do better and be better and have more hope.
I see the love of God!
2 comments:
Amen!
You said it, Sista.
What we cannot see is God himself; "love" is ONLY visible in effects.
Post a Comment