Sunday, November 4, 2007

A Rather Uneventful Week (Other Than Beer Sales)

So, this is one of the only weeks in the last several that I have actually gone to work every day! I have had appointments or conferences or a holiday almost every week since the beginning of September. Nothing really exciting even happened this week- no nuclear meltdowns by cow-orkers or anything remotely that interesting. I did have a couple lunch meetings and City Council went until 11:30 p.m., but hey, when I have late meetings, it just means more time I get to spend at home during the holidays (we build up comp time instead of getting paid overtime). As of right now, I have enough built up that I can take at least one more day off for Thanksgiving (we already get paid holidays for Thursday and Friday), plus I will be able to take off the whole week for Christmas, and maybe New Years Eve/Day, so I won't have to work from December 21 until January 2 and I'll get paid for the whole time....fun times.

I did spend a good share of time this week explaining to people why the new Maverik in Nibley can sell beer on Sunday when nowhere else in the county can. The majority of people in Cache County are under the mistaken impression that it is a "dry" county because of some state or county issued ordinance. But, it is up to each city to allow or not allow liquor sales on Sunday- there's nothing from either the state or the county (I had to check into this extensively). So, since Nibley City doesn't have anything on their books that doesn't allow alcohol sales on Sunday, when they asked about it, I had to tell them it was okay. Some people have reacted as if I gave permission to open a brothel in their backyards! They have said things like "I don't want my kids to be hit by someone who bought beer at Maverik while they're going to church or a fireside."- which is a ridiculous argument. Okay then person, shall we not sell during the summer, because your kids might be outside playing or on their way to a job or softball practice or something like that? Should we not sell it between 3:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. because your kids are awake? I was really good about being calm, even though I wanted to tell people they were being silly about the whole thing.

Oh, and I have discovered a couple of quirks about myself:
-Quirk 1: I have to put both of my socks on before I put a shoe on either foot. I can't do sock & shoe on one foot at a time.

-Quirk 2: When making a PBJ sandwich, I have to put the peanut butter on first. I was making one the other day and I was going to put the jam on first so I could put it back in the fridge since the fridge door was open, but it felt so wrong, that I waited and put the peanut butter on first.

No comments: