Yesterday, I was working in my office and overheard my boss and the mayor were talking about church stuff- I was not spying, but they were in the council room, which my office is right off of, and they both have loud voices. The mayor was speculating about why a bishop in Nibley had been released after just 2 years or so of being a bishop. Then later, they were still taking about things like that, and I had to use the City Council table to work on a mapping project. They started talking about how people reacted when a Hispanic man was called to be bishop of a different ward- I was asked to relay a certain citizen's comments. The mayor seemed appalled by how the person had reacted. I said, "Well, how is that any different than when people speculate about why Bishop X was released when he was? That is the thing that bugs me about Idaho and Utah- if a sustaining or releasing happens before people think it should, all of the sudden everyone starts talking about it and wondering what the person did wrong. It's nobody's business except the bishop, the stake president and the Lord." The mayor, after an embarrassed laugh, joked that he was going to go home and repent now that I had chastised him.
Not that I delight in chastising people, but honestly, it bugs how gums start flapping when stuff like that happens. I'm sure the church chat cirles (I hesitate to use the word gossip) are already going about who will be the new member of the Twelve and about different theories about why Elder Uchtdorf was called to the First Presidency instead of someone more senior.
And that's all I have to say about that. Have a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment