Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In Over My Head?


So, I am friends with a bunch of people who are runners. And I know a bunch of others who have run Wasatch Back or Ragnar or stuff like that (the team races that are about 200 miles total, etc.) Others aspire to run marathons, half marathons, 10k, 5k or their community's 4th of July pancake breakfast fun run.

Then there is me- I have never been one to enjoy running. I haven't aways have the best of experiences when I have gone running. Like one time I went running in college with a neighbor and then she was killed in a car accident the next day. Or when we would go jogging around the square between the MTC and the Provo and I got such a bad cramp in my side that I almost passed out.

I do, however, enjoy walking and riding my bike. When I was 14, I did a stake 25 mile hike in about 6 hours (not counting a break here and there). I likek the crisp air in my lungs and feeling like I did something.

But on Sunday, I got a hairbrained idea. See, I was sitting with these 3 little gals in my ward so their mom and dad could sit together on the stand and give their talks. Their mom was talking about goals and shared how she ran a marathon back a few years ago and the process she went through to accomplish that goal. And then I had the following conversation with myself:

Me: Why can't you do that?
The Voice In My Head That Answers The Questions I Ask: Because I hate running.
Me: Is that the only reason?
The Voice: No- you also don't like feeling your wobbly bits wobble.
Me: But I bet you could if you wanted to.
The Voice: Sure- why not? What have you got to lose?
Me: Weight, wobbly bits, self respect when I have snotsickles and no way to get rid of them because my running pants have no pockets. What the heck- let's go for it!

So, armed with this idea, I did what any person looking for information would do, I asked my facebok friends! Their opinions were many and varied. But basically, I managed to get the following information:

-Get a really good pair of shoes
-Start out small and add a little more each time
-Get some wicked awesome running music
-Drink lots of water

I also made the semi-commitment to participate in a 217 mile, 12 person team runs in Oregon in August! It will be good to have a goal and have other people depending on me to be able to run. I need that motivation- I am not good if I have no one to be accountable to!

Bah! What have I gotten myself into??????

5 comments:

E McL said...

So proud of you. Bananas will help keep the cramps at bay. Keep us posted on your progress.

Erin L said...

I am so excited for you!!!! I want to start running again. (I personally don't listen to music when I run, but I find I am in the minority there. I prefer to do math problems in my head as I run.)

Chad and Teri said...

I hate running too! Thats why my goal for the year is a century bike ride. Less wobble of the wobbly bits. Hooray for you!

Kelli said...

A good sports bra is also essential. Lexi and I are planning a 1/2 marathon later this summer. Haven't decided exactly which, but we would love to have you along if you want to join us in that goal. I haven't run much in years, either!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

"Semi-committed" is the right term. We are still several people short. Keep running, I'll let you know within the week.

And I'm aching and sore today too. Don't forget, Miss Shari--YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS! That is what I kept telling myself this morning anyway.