Sunday, January 5, 2014

Call Me Ishmael



"Susan Scott is a wonder.  We sold over forty copies of the book, which was very pleasant, but much more thrilling from my standpoint was the food."   
-The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society














I get lost in a book the way a small child gets lost in a department store.  I let go and just take in everything around me, oblivious to what I should actually be doing. 

Have you ever read a book and found yourself relating to the central character on so many different levels?  Well, I found my literary counterpart in Juliet Ashton- the main character in this book.  She's a slightly awkward person who gets annoyed by other people's stupidity and who doesn't mince words.  She's in her early 30s and is a writer with an overactive imagination.  She has big dreams and aspirations but when it boils down to it, wants the simplicity of country life and the quirky characters around her.  She fights for what she believes in and champions the underdog.

When I read this book, my imagination kind of goes bonkers.  I dream of writing letters to some charming mystery man who lives on an island.  I dream of up and moving to a town full of strangers and making a life there. 

On another day, my favorite book may be The Book Thief or it may be something nice and cheesy like Until Proven Guilty or some other LDS novel.  I loves books because they are an escape into another world where I can be anything to be or where I can get so wrapped up in the romance and intrigue of another person's life that I forget my own problems.


1 comment:

bridt said...

amen. books are pretty much unparalleled. all sorts.