Saturday, January 4, 2014

Quote Me

Do you have a favorite quote, one that you return to again and again? What is it and why is it your favorite?

I actually have several favorite quotes and passages from books that I love!  They all come to mind when I think favorites.  Each occasion, happy or sad, calls for a different quote.  So, I'll list a few of them.

When I just want to start the day/week over:
"Just remember, tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet." -Miss Stacey, Anne of Green Gables

When my heart hurts:
"Well, you cry a little and wait for the sun to come out, it always does, you know." -Maria, The Sound of Music

When I'm trying to make a decision:
"This above all, to thine own self be true; and it must follow, as night the day, thou can't not then be false to any man." -Polonius, Hamlet (yes, the only reason I know that Polonius said this is because I've seen Clueless)

When I need to remember to be more charitable and less judgmental: (this is from the unabridges novel of Les Miserables)

"Monsieur...you are good; you do not despise me.  You receive me into your house.  You light your candles for me.  Yet I have not concealed from you whence I come and that I am an unfortunate man."

The Bishop, who was sitting close to him, gently touched his hand..."This is not my house; it is the house of Jesus Christ.  This door does not demand of him who enters whether he has a name but whether he has grief.  You suffer, you are hungry and thirsty; you are welcome.  And do not thank me; do not say that I receive you into my house.  No one is at home here, except that man who needs a refuge.  I say to you, who are passin by, that you are much more at home here than I am myself.  Everything here is yours.  What need have I to know your name?  Besides, before you told me you had one which I knew."

"Really?  You knew what I was called?"

"Yes," replied the Bishop, "you are called my brother."

When I need to feel better about myself:

"You is good.  You is kind.  You is important." -Abileen, The Help

There are oh, so many others.  I love memorizing quotes and poems because they will often come to mind at times when I need them the most.

What words are important to you?

No comments: