Sunday, January 27, 2008

Where Were You When....



I was watching a Hallmark Hall of Fame movie on tv tonight when they interrupted it to say Pres. Hinckley passed away. It got me thinking about where I have been when other prophets have died.

I was 8 when President Kimball passed away. At that point, he was the only prophet I knew. I remember walking upstairs that morning and Mom was sitting on the courch in her blue bathrobe- she read her scriptures in the morning. The lamp was on and she had the newspaper in her hand. I remember the headline said "Mormon President Kimball, 90, Dies". Pres. Kimball was always kind of special to our family because Grandpa Phippen was his mission companion. I remember Mom being sad, but also she took the time to teach me about prophets and what happened when one passes away.

I was almost 17 when Pres. Benson passed away. He died on Memorial Day. Even though it was before the internet was really big, I remember word getting around really quickly- I had been out and about with a friend and her family for the holiday and when we got back home, we saw it on the news. Even though he had been the prophet for a lot of my life, he was really sick for a long time, so I don't remember him being that visible of a prophet.

Pres. Hunter died during my senior year of high school. He was only prophet for about 9 months. As I remember, I found out about it in seminary. It was really quiet in the building that day. My senior class was the only class to have Pres. Hunter sign our seminary diplomas (well actually, to have his signature stamp on our diplomas).

No comments: