Tuesday, May 6, 2008

At What Point?

So, a few weeks back, I mentioned to my co-workers that I thought a guy who had come into work was really nice. I didn't so much mind that they found out enough about him to know he's single and the EQ president in his ward. That much is good to know-at least then, if I were to see him again, then I wouldn't feel silly if I flirted, you know?

Well, I have been sick the past couple of days. Right now, I sound like a man, or at least a chain-smoking truck driver named Dolores. Well, I stayed home most of the day yesterday- I felt like I had been hit by a truck. So, about 3:00 or so, I get a phone call. It's the three ladies at work (they were calling themselves Flora, Fauna & Merriweather). Apparently, this young man came in because he needed to return some stuff to me he had used for a class project and also to pay a speeding ticket. Well, these three decide to give him the 3rd degree and see if they could play matchmaker. For one thing, they told him he couldn't return the stuff until I was actually there. Then, they asked him if he has a girlfriend (he doesn't) and what he likes to do on dates (whatever, as long as it's fun). Then, they decide to fill him with all sorts of information about me. Basically, what it boils down to is that one of the ladies said "You know, she is so intelligent, you already know that, and she is just such a great person and you seem the same way and I just think that two people like that should go out and have a great time together." They basically told him that he needs to come back when I am there. Oh, and then they decided to tell him about the volunteer stuff I am doing, which he is also going to do, I already knew that- I had told him about it and he said he wanted to do it, so that was nothing new.

Now, don't get me wrong- I would enjoy going out with him. He is really nice and cute and smart and all that. But, at what point do you tell people that as much as you appreciate it, it is doing more damage than good for them to talk that much? And, if he does come in while I am there to bring that stuff back, do I say something like "hey, I had nothing do do with that ambush the other day."? Or, should I just leave it alone and pretend like I don't know what they said to him?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

flora, fauna, and merriweather need to lay off. i bet the guy felt as awkward as you when they were grilling him. you are smart enough to figure out a way to tell them.

Karianne said...

If the subject comes up, you might mention that you would rather them not do that again. Now that its done, I wouldn't say anything to him about it unless he brings it up, and then just appologize for the rudeness of your co-workers. Some people just don't know when to keep their mouths shut.

Erin L said...

I think its kinda funny. I probably would act oblivious to it, though.