Sunday, May 25, 2008

Movie Review: Prince Caspian



Last night, I went to see Prince Caspian with a friend and her family. I was way excited to see the movie. I just read the book last weekend when I was home. I must say, the movie did not disappoint!

They do a great job of staying true to the book. Of course, the battle scene at the end is more drawn out and takes a disproportionate part of the movie. The kids who play Peter, Edmund, Susan and Lucy act really well together. Towards the beginning of the movie there is a scene when they have first discovered that they are at Caer Paravel and find the chests with their belongings and statues of themselves. That scene was exactly how I pictured it when I was reading the book.

The scenery was amazingly beautiful- it was filmed in New Zeland and the Czech Republic. The costumes and creatures were great- so creative. Not a movie I would take any kid under 10 to- it was fairly intense. The whole movie was really well cast- Prince Caspian is a hottie, that's for sure.

Seeing as it's part of Chronicles of Narnia, there was, of course, the overarching theme of faith and Christian principles. When the Pevensie kids first arrive in Narnia, it has been over 1000 years since they were there before and Aslan hasn't been there. narnia has been taken over by the Telmarines, who think that the creatures/people from old Narnia are no more. Even to the old Narnian creatures, Aslan is just a myth- they don't believe because they hadn't seen.

There's also a whole storyline with who we turn to when things aren't going right, which I think is done really well. Slightly creepy, but done well all the same.

I think my favorite story arc in the movie was the Lucy/Aslan story. Throughout the movie, Luch has glimpses of Aslan and feels like she should follow the way he shows her, but because the others don't believe her, she goes with them. When she and Aslan are face to face at the end of the movie, he asks her why she doesn't come to him when he called her and she says "I was afraid to go alone." It made me think about my relationship with the Savior and my willingness to do what is right and follow Him, even if I have to do it alone.

All in all, I give it a hearty two thumbs up. I would go see it again in the theater and it will end up in my collection.

No comments: