Saturday, May 31, 2008

Memorial Day



Nathan White was shot down by a Patriot Stinger missile in 2003 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. He and my brother JD were best friends as little boys when my family lived in Texas. Summer 2006, I was in D.C. and took the time to find his grave. There is something about standing in the middle of rows and rows of headstones, knowing that the one thing they have in common is that they all served our country and believed in something much greater than themselves. I wish I held the conviction that they all did. It is humbling to be there and be a part of that place, even if only for a little bit.

All week long, I have been thinking about Memorial Day. Growing up in the Air Force, we have seen a lot of war-related memorials. I've been to Gettysburg and a lot of other Civil War monuments. When we lived in D.C., of course, we saw the Vietnam Memorial, Iwo Jima and went to Arlington National Cemetery on several occasions. If you haven't seen the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, I would recommend it as one of the top 5 things to do in D.C.

This video doesn't really do the changing of the guard justice, but it is pretty cool to watch.


I don't quite know what to say about Memorial Day. The sacrifice of soldiers is something close to my heart. Dad was in the Air Force for 20 years, JD has been in the National Guard for 13 years and has been a part of honor guards at funerals and one time, had to escort the body of a friend off of the airplane when it was sent from Iraq.

I love my country and those who are willing to defend it. I may not always agree with the decisions our leaders make to send oru military into harms' way, but I absolutely support those who go and fight. I pray that I may always have the courage and conviction to support those who lay down their lives in defense of something greater.

2 comments:

Chad and Teri said...

Beautifully said.

Emily said...

Shers, I can't believe I haven't been looking at your blog all this time. I love it. You are such a great writer. I love the updates, the insights and the random meanderings of your blog. They all make me so happy. Um...don't forget to comment on my blog if you ever look at it. Love you man.